Nearly every clothing store has at least one display mannequin. They are commonly found in the front windows of stores at the mall to show off the store's newest fashions. Display mannequins must be life-sized in order for the clothes to fit well over them. Most mannequins are full figures including the head, torso, arms, and legs, but some are only a torso. These types of display mannequins are perfect for saving space while modeling shirts and blouses. The full-size mannequins do take up more room, but they are more versatile in that they can be used to display entire outfits including hats, shirts, pants, and shoes.
Display mannequins are usually modeled after people who are physically fit. People are more likely to view the clothing favorably if it is displayed in a flattering way on the model's physique.
A display mannequin can be made of several materials. Many are made of fiberglass. These mannequins are durable and easy to mass-produce. Other mannequins are made of plaster. Plaster mannequins are easier to break than fiberglass models, but are still useful if handled correctly. Wooden mannequins are less common than plaster and fiberglass mannequins because they take longer to make. They were much more common before plastic manufacturing caught on. Wax mannequins are rarely used to display clothing for sale in stores, but are often found in museums.
Display mannequins are a great way for stores to show off their clothing. Shoppers get a good idea what the clothes will look like on a real person when they see them on a display mannequin.
Benefits of Mannequins Display and How to Use
- Make the mannequins look interesting.
- Think of the total environment of the window and display. The mannequins should blend in with the environment that you have created.
- Mannequins have their physical good sides, angles or positions that they are best viewed from. Consider the most attractive view of the mannequin.
- Mix your mannequins such as a pair of male and female mannequins. This is eye catching and has an element of surprise to the shop.
- Treat each department differently, (sport wear /sports goods women's wear, children's, men's wear) when creating displays especially with the mannequins.
- Rotate your mannequin groups regularly and re-position them.